This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

I may be owed for 3 years. Advice needed.

napoleonbenevolent
I may be owed for 3 years. Advice needed.

Postby napoleonbenevolent » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:41 pm

Hi everyone.

So to cut a long story short, every summer break from University I would always undertake some basic summer jobs. They were always just minimum wage and in a warehouse/factory setting.

I only used to work those 15 or so weeks of the summer and then go back to my studies. I would earn roughly 300 a week, and around 40 of that was deducted in income tax each week. Obviously I never went over the personal allowance amount, though I was taxed regardless.

Should I now not be owed a tax refund? What is my best course of action to find an answer? I no longer have any of my payslips ect, but I imagine my information is stored somewhere.

Best regards.

AmanSood

Re: I may be owed for 3 years. Advice needed.

Postby AmanSood » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:39 am

Basically yes you should be due a tax refund if you have been taxed on income which falls below the personal allowance for the relevant tax years. In terms of what you need to do, it really depends on which tax years we are talking about and how far back you are looking to go. Most likely you would need to file a tax return for each tax year to claim the tax refund from HMRC.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: I may be owed for 3 years. Advice needed.

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:25 am

Hi

Not sure why HMRC have not automatically generated the refund as they have all the records on their system

Tax Return is not necessary - suggest you just call HMRC

Kind Regards

GTA

Return to “Income Tax”