This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sole trader paid once via PAYE

joso66
Sole trader paid once via PAYE

Postby joso66 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:45 pm

So I'm a sole trader and, annoyingly, a client decided to pay me for a one-off job via payroll (PAYE: tax and NI deducted).
How/where does this go down on my self-assessment form?
Can I still claim business expenses (travel etc.) for this job as I usually would?

AmanSood

Re: Sole trader paid once via PAYE

Postby AmanSood » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:23 pm

if paye/nic deducted then sounds like an employment. so the info should be input on the employment pages of your tax return. claiming expenses is not straightforward and really depends on the working arrangement.
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

joso66

Postby joso66 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Thanks for the reply. Appreciated. Is it really employment, though, when it was just a couple of hours work, one time?

AmanSood

Postby AmanSood » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:47 am

the fact that PAYE has been withheld indicates that it was viewed by your employer as an employment..
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

Return to “Income Tax”