This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Low Tax Pensioner

Mr_Ben
Low Tax Pensioner

Postby Mr_Ben » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:20 pm

I hope this is an interesting question for you because I've so far been unable to find a definitive answer.

Following early retirement on medical grounds I was awarded a full pension but arranged it so that I pay only tax of c£60 per annum on an annual pension of c£12,000 with the balance being commuted to a lump sum payment and invested (not in my SIPP). In addition I get c£5,500 p.a. in PIP benefit which is not taxable.

I was aware that I couldn't invest the lump sum in my uncrsytallized SIPP but how much can I continue to contribute to my pension from other sources e.g. untaxed savings and investments? Am I considered a non-taxpayer and therefore only entitled to contribute £2880 (net) per annum or, because I do pay some tax however little, can I contribute 100% of my earnings to my pension fund? If the latter, am I entitled to include PIP in calculating my earnings or only my defined pension scheme?

AnthonyR

Re: Low Tax Pensioner

Postby AnthonyR » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:40 pm

Your contribution is limited to your relevant UK earnings, which includes employment/self employment/trades/professions. It doesn't include pensions or PIPs as these are not considered earnings. As such you are limited to £2880 (£3600 gross).
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Income Tax”