This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT (property)

ianpip
CGT (property)

Postby ianpip » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:39 am

Hi, hoping somebody can advise me......
I have recently bought an unoccupied house with a large garden for £300k and have now obtained Outline Planning Consent for two dwellings in the garden. I intend to split the property into three Lots (the house and the two plots) and sell them individually.

I have very little knowledge of the CGT liability in this case or how I should split the original cost between the three lots and sell them to minimise the CGT.

Any helpful advice or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

pawncob

Re: CGT (property)

Postby pawncob » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:53 pm

The development is subject to Income Tax , not CGT. Register as Self Employed with HMRC and follow the usual trading route.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

Peter D

Re: CGT (property)

Postby Peter D » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:44 pm

This sounds like an adventure in the nature of a trade and Income Tax will apply not CGT.
You really need some face to face advice and a good accountant. Regards Peter

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”