This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Stamp Duty Land Tax - Joint Tenants

JRRS1
Stamp Duty Land Tax - Joint Tenants

Postby JRRS1 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:16 pm

Hello

Several years ago my brother and I purchased a property to live in together. We purchased as joint tenants. He is now looking to move out and I would like to take over the ownership of the property and take him off the mortgage and will likely have to give him some some additional money to account for the increase in value of the property (although there may be some deductions for the value of work I have done to the property).

Would I need to pay stamp duty on this transaction should the value of his share of the mortgage and any money I give him be over the threshold?

Many thanks
Jack

maths

Re: Stamp Duty Land Tax - Joint Tenants

Postby maths » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:52 pm

I assume you are both on the legal title and are both mortgagors.

You are effectively buying your brother's equity (for cash) plus taking on his % (50%) of the mortgage amount outstanding.

SDLT will be payable if the combined above amounts exceeds £125,000. The 3% SDLT "surcharge" should not apply if it's your only property.

JRRS1

Re: Stamp Duty Land Tax - Joint Tenants

Postby JRRS1 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:22 am

Hello

Thanks for your response. Your assumption about the mortgage is correct and this is our only property. Your answer confirms what I was thinking from reading around.

What has been confusing me is that I have described the transaction to two conveyancing firms who have both suggested there would be no stamp duty liable on this type of transaction? My only thought is that is because in most cases the consideration is below the £125k threshold.

Thanks again.

Return to “Property Taxation”