This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Penalty notice?

zukias
Penalty notice?

Postby zukias » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:40 pm

For 2014/2015 tax year and 2015/2016 i have just had a letter saying i must pay £100 penalty for each year, so £200. They claim to have sent me some notices to file a tax return which I've never seen. I am aware of the implications of ignoring correspondence from HMRC so i would never ignore a letter from them if I had received one; either they had the wrong address on the system or something went wrong in the post/on their end. From the fact I have never been self employed or had any capital gains income (i had just come out of uni at the time), this penalty has come completely out of the blue as I didn't think I needed to file anything. Are these circumstances appeal-able? I've never dealt with them before so have no idea how stubborn/lenient they are.

Any help much appreciated

maths

Re: Penalty notice?

Postby maths » Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:46 pm

Return to “Income Tax”