This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Buying second home

apa
Buying second home

Postby apa » Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:02 am

Hi,
The title of my current home is solely on my name. I would like to transfer it entirely to my wife's name now that the mortgage is paid off. I have two questions
1) Does the transfer involve any tax or stamp duty or any other overheads ?
2) If I decide to buy a home in a couple of years time in my name alone, would that be considered second home, eventhough I do not have one against my name (but my wife does).

Many thanks for your time
Regards
apa

bd6759

Re: Buying second home

Postby bd6759 » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:19 pm

Yes, it would be a second home.

maths

Re: Buying second home

Postby maths » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:23 pm

Re point 1 no SDLT charge arises as there is no chargeable consideration being given (ie no monies or the taking over of any mortgage).

Re point 2, as bd6759 comments, the 3% charge would apply (in simple terms a married couple are treated as a single person so your new purchase even by you alone is also treated as a a purchase by your wife).

Return to “Property Taxation”