This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

A Big problem... advice needed

Trevornelson
A Big problem... advice needed

Postby Trevornelson » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:05 pm

OK so cut a long story short -

I am 9 years behind in tax returns. I could tell you the story but guess by now its not that relevant. Safe to say there are no villas, flash cars or big expenses, for a good few years I was just earning enough to survive... but things have got better.

Declared SE in 2006, made first return which was very low and sine then have not had any demands for part payments, just fines for non submission all of which are paid.

Need some guidance what to do from here. I'm earning enough now to put money away but if I go to HMRC I'm guessing they will want everything in one one which would bankrupt me. I have about 30% of what I estimate I owe saved and am building it up ( ie putting away more than the additional tax I am accruing ).

Any advice/guidance would be very helpful,

SteLacca

Re: A Big problem... advice needed

Postby SteLacca » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:20 pm

It could get worse. If HMRC have raised any estimates for more than four years ago then, whilst submitting Returns will satisfy your legal obligation, it won't displace their estimates. HMRC could also go for penalties for failure to notify.

Whilst you say the reasons for the current situation are irrelevant, they could be very relevant for appeals purposes.

I suggest you come clean and get up to date as soon as possible. If HMRC come after you, they could potentially go back as far as 20 years, and so the longer that you leave it the worse it will be.

It may be prudent to engage the services of a local accountant who will be able to ensure (subject to the quality of your records) that you don't pay more than you need, and to minimise exposure to enquiry, as well as assessing the viability of appealing any penalties and how to best phrase any such appeal.

If you decide to do it yourself, ensure that you do it right. Submitting so many Returns late will almost certainly expose you to a risk of enquiry.

Return to “Income Tax”