This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

sole trader- two self employemnts flat rate scheme

puds2015
sole trader- two self employemnts flat rate scheme

Postby puds2015 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:11 pm

Hi. I hope someone can help- I ave an appointment with a technical advisor from HMRC next week but looking for any advice in the meantime.

Currently VAT registered as a sole proprietor- hairdressing business. On the flat rate scheme- 13%.

Considering starting a second separate self employment- online dating agency. Again as a sole proprietor-not sure if it will make much profit. Keeping both businesses separate- separate bank account, separate accounting etc.

I know that as already VAT registered then all income form new self employment business will be VATable. My question though is that can I remain in the flat rate scheme and if so how would it work. Would I use the flat rate percentage for the bigger turnover on the combined income, two different %'s and combine totals or another option?
I'm hoping I wouldn't have to deregister and use standard VAT as if the dating agency doesn't produce any income then I would be losing out on the hairdressing side of things as the flat rate is preferable to standard VAT on that!
I hope that makes sense. I've searched for answers but just can not find anything that relates to two sole proprietor businesses.
Many thanks

les35

Re: sole trader- two self employemnts flat rate scheme

Postby les35 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:25 pm

One person; two businesses; one FRS percentage - see Notice 733, para 4.8.
He should choose the category applicable to the business with the higher turnover.

puds2015

Re: sole trader- two self employemnts flat rate scheme

Postby puds2015 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:30 pm

lovely- this was my instinct based on what i could find- but the advisor i spoke to today at hmrc was under the impression if there was two businesses they could not be in the flat rate scheme. I hoped he was getting confused by groups not being allowed in the flat rate scheme and that as neither business was a limited company this would not be applicable. I'll speak to the technical advisor on tuesday but im hoping they will say what you have just said x

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”