This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

BEST FRIEND GIFT

mansoor
BEST FRIEND GIFT

Postby mansoor » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:58 pm

Hello experts,

One of my best friend from non EU country want to help me (GIFT) with sum £25K deposit towards buying a flat

!, Do i need to pay any tax :?:

2, property conveyancing solicitor asking for extensive proof of deposit i show my bank statement still not satisfied

3, which kind of supporting documents do i need from my friend to satisfied conveyancing solicitors

any possibility to save my deposit which already i paid 10% initial amount towards flat

Thanks

AGoodman

Re: BEST FRIEND GIFT

Postby AGoodman » Fri Jul 28, 2017 11:10 am

1. No
2. / 3. I don't understand.

Why is your solicitor asking for evidence of you having money? - are they looking to obtain evidence of source of funds - ie that you obtained the money honestly?

The solicitors act for you. Ask them what documents they want and why.

maths

Postby maths » Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:28 pm

As is the case with many professional advisors and banks in my experience they are apt to interpret and extend what are the actual legislative provisions (eg re money laundering) and demand information or compliance with their own internal rules and guidance whether or not these are in fact what the legislation states. They are simply concerned to protect their own backs.

Increasingly for normal residential property purchases solicitors request identification of source of funds and proof of origin taking no account of the risk profile of the purchaser and simply operate a blanket policy of demanding information irrespective.

Failure to supply this information/proof typically causes the solicitor to refuse to act whether reasonable or not.

Lee Young

Postby Lee Young » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:42 pm

If there is a mortgage then the solicitor will also be acting for the mortgage company and therefore has a duty to them also. The solicitor will need to establish (for the purposes of complying with the Anti Money Laundering Regulations) the source of funds, and also, if there is a mortgage, that there will be no one else who might have an interest in the property other than you the buyer and the mortgage company, though its mortgage.
Lee Young
Solicitor, Chartered Tax Adviser and Trust and Estate Practitioner

Partner, Frettens LLP
lyoung@frettens.co.uk
01202 491701

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:45 pm

From a practical point of view, your friend may need to get a solicitor/accountant to confirm the source of income (ie earning/savings/disposal of asset). As mentioned above, it's simply to ensure that this isn't the proceeds of drug dealing/people trafficking or some other illegal activity.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

Return to “Inheritance Tax, IHT, Trusts & Estates, Capital Taxes”