This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Treatment of bonus after moving to UAE

uk_expat
Treatment of bonus after moving to UAE

Postby uk_expat » Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:53 am

Hi,

I have UK tax resident and working in the UK for the past few years. My current employer is relocating me to a new role in UAE this September. Under the split-year treatment, I will cease to be UK tax resident on the relocation date. I expect to be paid a bonus in February 2018 which covers my performance for the 2017 calendar year. The bonus is at my employer's discretion - I have no contractual entitlement to it.

Will I have a UK income tax liability on this bonus payment?

Many thanks,

uk_expat

darthblingbling

Re: Treatment of bonus after moving to UAE

Postby darthblingbling » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:15 pm

I'm only a student of tax, so don't take it as gospel. But I believe for employment income you are taxable when you are legally entitled to it or when you receive it, whenever is earlier [ITEPA 2003, s.18]

There's a third rule as well if you're a director, but I don't think that applies.

So just make sure you get that split year!

bd6759

Re: Treatment of bonus after moving to UAE

Postby bd6759 » Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:16 pm

It is taxable in the year that you receive it, but whether or not it is taxable depends on your circumstances when it is earned.

Since the bonus will relate to duties performed in the UK, it will be taxable in the UK.

Return to “Income Tax”