This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax implications of returning to company after voluntary severance..

flybynight200000
Tax implications of returning to company after voluntary severance..

Postby flybynight200000 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:23 pm

Hi everyone,
Would appreciate some advice. I took voluntary severance from a company 3 years and 3 months ago (Was told my job was going anyway) I now have the opportunity to return to them in the same role. I have heard there may some tax implications on my severance pay?

Any advice very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

AmanSood

Re: Tax implications of returning to company after voluntary severance..

Postby AmanSood » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:25 am

Sometimes HMRC question whether the termination/severance payment was genuine if for example the person is rehired shortly after "termination". In this case they would challenge the tax treatment applied. However, given it's been 3yrs and 3 months you shouldn't be concerned about this.

Thanks

Aman
Advising on UK employment, expatriate and personal taxes
aman.sood@e-taxconsulting.com.
+44 (0) 207 846 0155

flybynight200000

Re: Tax implications of returning to company after voluntary severance..

Postby flybynight200000 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:10 pm

Aman, your a star thanks very much for your advice.

Best regards.

Return to “Income Tax”