This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on Startup Equity

DB1234
CGT on Startup Equity

Postby DB1234 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:57 pm

Hi All,

Hopefully you can help.

I've recently been brought in to run a startup and have been given equity.

I've been given 20% of the company split as follows, (5% for passing 3 month probation, 5% after 12 mths, 5% after 2 Years and 5% after 3 Years). The company is currently valued at £0, and should be after 3 months still. But how will it work for the remaining 15%?

What rate will I have to pay on these and when will it need to be paid? in annual tax returns or post sale (we plan to flip the company in 5 years or so)? Also what happens in the situation where I feel I couldn't afford the tax on the shares if I were to accept them? Do I have other options available to me? i.e take the cash value and pay tax on that?

I'm a bit novice on this so any help appreciated.

I'm based in the UK.

Thanks,

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”