This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Claiming input VAT

staenly
Claiming input VAT

Postby staenly » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:11 pm

I'm an affiliate marketer with 100% of my income coming from Amazon Luxembourg. I'm below the VAT threshold in terms of my revenue, and anyway, I got advice from Amazon that I'm not required to charge VAT because, under European VAT legislation, the marketing services provided by EU associates established outside Luxembourg are subject to VAT in the country where the recipient of the service is established, i.e. in Luxembourg. Amazon apparently accounts for the VAT due on the supply under the reverse charge mechanism.

Where I'm confused in VAT on input. I have a lot of business expenses (laptop, various subscriptions, rent) where I'm being asked to pay VAT. Does it make sense / am I allowed to register for VAT and claim the input VAT back when I don;t charge any output VAT? I know it's not possible if all your revenues are from exempt goods/services. However, in my case the revenues are not exempt, just outside of the scope as far as I understand. Can I claim input tax back? Many thanks.

les35

Re: Claiming input VAT

Postby les35 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:20 pm

Yes, you can register for VAT in the UK and claim back input tax.
The rules are in VAT Act 1994, Sch 1, para 10, but are well hidden in HMRC guidance. This is the main link (although the wording is not helpful!): https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manual ... atreg23250

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”