This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Help with EIS3 claim form

solari
Help with EIS3 claim form

Postby solari » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:15 pm

Hi guys,

I have made 2 chunky investments in 2 separate companies. Both private investments and qualify for EIS - I have now received the EIS3 claim forms.

I am full-time employed and pay my income tax via PAYE.

For one of the investments, the shares were technically issued last tax year, and for the other they were this tax year.

How can I claim my EIS relief (i.e. 30% of my investment) on these investments?

I have the EIS3 forms so I know I need to send them off. But I find the form very confusing.

I'm guessing I tick "I wish relief to be allowed in my PAYE coding", but do I tick "I am claiming relief for a year for which I have already sent in a tax return"? I haven't sent in a tax return as I'm PAYE - but it is for shares issued in the last tax year...???

darthblingbling

Re: Help with EIS3 claim form

Postby darthblingbling » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:48 am

You can either claim relief in the year you made the investment, or you can claim to have made the investment in the previous tax year.

I'm not really well versed in claiming the relief outside of self assessment if for a previous tax year sorry, so I'm little help.

solari

Postby solari » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:01 pm

Thanks mate. Anyone else with further insight?

solari

Postby solari » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:38 pm

Also how do I know what my:

1) Tax reference is? (I've not returned a tax return before)
2) HMRC office is?

Need to fill these in on the EIS3 form and no idea what they are.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:42 pm

Fill out the claim form on the EIS3 and send it to
Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AS
United Kingdom

Your tax reference is on your P60, but it is your NI number that is really important.

solari

Postby solari » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Fill out the claim form on the EIS3 and send it to
Pay As You Earn and Self Assessment
HM Revenue and Customs
BX9 1AS
United Kingdom

Your tax reference is on your P60, but it is your NI number that is really important.
Thanks mate. I must be really retarded but I genuinely can't see my tax reference on my P60. Which one is it? lol

solari

Postby solari » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:21 pm

So looking around on the interwebs, it seems that I wouldn't have a UTR unless you self-assess or set up a company (https://www.gov.uk/find-lost-utr-number). And I haven't done either...

So what do I put in the box?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:17 pm

The tax reference is irrelevant. It used to matter when different Inland Revenue offices dealt with the employees of different employers. Now everything is centalised it doesn't need to go to a specific office. All it needs is your NI number.

maths

Postby maths » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:07 pm

Return to “Income Tax”