This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Avoid CGT on sale of garden larger than permitted area?

BoBoN
Avoid CGT on sale of garden larger than permitted area?

Postby BoBoN » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:49 pm

Hello all. Have total grounds of 2.1 acres with long road frontage and recently got outline PP to build a house on 1 extremity of garden (0.45 acres). Am now going for outline PP for same at other extremity (0.4 acres). What should i be doing now in view of avoiding or minimising CGT given that total existing plot exceeds 'permitted area'. I see 2 different options: gather evidence e.g. photos to demonstrate that entire area is used for the enjoyment of the property as a whole and hope that district valuer agrees, or, separate off the plots and sell them to a Ltd company of which i am a director (this may avoid CGT but attract corporation tax when the plot is sold on at a profit?). Not sure which, if either, are a good solution. No doubt there are some experts here that can help. Many thanks.

maths

Re: Avoid CGT on sale of garden larger than permitted area?

Postby maths » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:59 pm

There is no definitive answer to this hoary old chestnut. it is heavily fact dependent.

2.1 acres is significantly in excess of the permitted area (approx 1.25 acres) and arguing that all of the surrounding land is needed for enjoyment is likely to be an uphill struggle.The fact that you are seeking to hive off not one but two parts is unhelpful to your argument re enjoyment.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”