This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT on 2nd property

loisloisch@hotmail.c

Postby loisloisch@hotmail.c » Fri Apr 25, 2003 1:41 pm

I bought a house 5 years ago and its value has increased by about £100,000. I now want to rent that property out and buy another house to live in. If I sell my original property in a couple of years time will the capital gains be calculated on the original purchase price of the house or on the valuation when it became my second property.

Anthony Nixon

Postby Anthony Nixon » Mon Apr 28, 2003 12:12 am

The CGT relief is split on a time basis. You look at your total gain based on your original purchase and your final sale. You then split it between the time it is your main residence and the time it is not.

So if the property has been your main home for half the period you have owned it half of the gain is exempt; if it has been your main home for three quarters of the time you have owned it three quarters of the gain is exempt.

But the relief is more generous than this. In particular the last 36 months of your ownership of a property which, at some time during your ownership, has been your main home, is always treated as an exempt period, even if you had another main home at the time.

If you sell two years after the property has ceased to be your main home your whole gain should be free of CGT.

If you would like further information please do contact me.

Anthony Nixon ATII
Associate Solicitor
Lester Aldridge Solicitors
Russell House
Oxford Road
BOURNEMOUTH BH8 8EX

Direct Line: + 44 (0)1202 786236
E-mail: anthony.nixon@LA-Law.com

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”