This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

CGT marriage and PPR election

LesleyR

Postby LesleyR » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:14 am

I have just married, my husband and I both have our own properties. We live in his and I rent out mine (I lived there previously). I understand as we are married we're only allowed one PPR, so we have to elect one of these properties as our PPR. We intend to move from my husbands property within the year and sell mine within the 3 year PPR exemption. Do we need to declare my husbands property our PPR now, and then after moving declare my property our PPR before selling it to minimise CGT?

John Day

Postby John Day » Tue Jul 08, 2003 2:39 am

Lesley
No election is actually necessary in this instance; the facts will determine which property was your PPR and for what periods. As you say, if your property was your PPR and you sell it within 3 years of it ceasing to be so, that final period of letting will be included within the period of relief as your PPR.

Return to “Property Taxation”