This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Movement between properties, letting and CGT implications

rolo

Postby rolo » Tue Jul 08, 2003 4:41 am

I lived with my (then) wife in a shared home for 14 years (cost in 1984 £67K). We then seperated and I purchased another house (£145K) which I lived in, my wife remained in the first property. Five years later and we are recently divorced, and I am now the sole owner of the first property.
If I elect the first house as my main residence, and let the second house would this enable me to sell the second house in 3 years with no CGT.

Also when I sell the first house how would I calculate the CGT on that property.

Current valuation on both properties circa £300K

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Wed Jul 09, 2003 6:13 am

In order to answer this query, please explain how you came to own the first property outright, ie. how was your wife's half share transferred to you, at what value, and when, ie. before or after divorce became final or as part of the settlement.

You may wish to email these details directly rather than post out in public view, in which case my email address is below.

Ian McTernan CTA
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “Property Taxation”