This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

VAT payments for non-VAT registered business

antoinette_morrow@ho

Postby antoinette_morrow@ho » Wed Jun 16, 2004 3:56 am

I am in the process of starting up a home business and recently undertook a large administrative project. As I am not VAT registered, I did not include VAT on my invoice to the client. However, to help with the project, I engaged a number of individuals and advised them what the rate would be. When they, in turn, invoiced me they charged me VAT as they are VAT registered. I now find that I will be seriously out of pocket as I did not foresee this. Is there any way I can claim the VAT back? Or what is the best way forward for me from here?

paultaylor@vatease.c

Postby paultaylor@vatease.c » Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:13 am

Unfortunately, unless your income over a period of 30 days exceeded £58,000, there is not.

HM C&E will not allow back dated voluntary registrations. They will only backdate a registration where you were required to compulsory register but failed to do so.

Further, even if you register now, the rules allowing the claim of input VAT on services bought before registration will not apply to these services as you have "bought and sold" them prior to being registered.

Perhaps your best bet is to write to your Registration Section explaining the position and requesting a back dated voluntary registration, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Regards

Paul Taylor
http://www.vatease.co.uk/
0121 778 4299

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”