This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

EU citizen left UK in 05; return as not ordinarily resident?

rr296
EU citizen left UK in 05; return as not ordinarily resident?

Postby rr296 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:27 pm

I am a EU citizen who was resident in the UK from July 2000 through August 2005. At the time, I came with the intention of staying between 2 to 3 years and thus acquired "resident but not ordinarily resident" status which subsequently reverted to "resident and ordinarily resident" after I ended up staying for more than 3 years in the UK.

In Sep 05, I moved away from the UK (and outside the EU) and have remained almost entirely outside until now. I am currently looking at returning to the UK and was wondering whether I will be able to once again claim "resident but not ordinarily resident" if I arrive with the intention of only staying 2-3 years.

In other words, are there any restrictions on becoming "not ordinarily resident" for a 2nd time if one has been resident outside the UK for more than one full tax year?

maths

Re: EU citizen left UK in 05; return as not ordinarily resident?

Postby maths » Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:25 pm

It should be possible on your return to the UK to avoid, at least initially, becoming ordinarily resident from the date of your arrival.

Absence from the UK (ie non-UK resident for atl east 3 years) generally advisable; absence for 1 year unlikely to be sufficient.

Return to “International Tax”