This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

New Business VAT Return - Can I Claim These?

Q582

Postby Q582 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 11:40 pm

Hi,

I am a UK based business and I have been in business for only 8 months. I am about to return my second VAT return. My returns are quarterley and I have a few questions if anyone can answer them please.

I work from home using a room for an office and the double garage to prepare and store equipment. I also have clients visit me at home.

In my VAT return, can I claim any VAT from the following:

Landline Telephone (Used for Business and Personal)
Heating (Used for Business and Personal)
Electricity (Used for Business and Personal)

Also, I have just purchased a new suite for the main room. Beacause of the client visits, it is used for both personal and business use.

Can I claim anything against the purchase of the suite?

If I had company premises, I would assume that it could be classed as fixtures and fitting and that I could use the purchase of the suite in my tax return!

Please advise.

Q582

paultaylor@vatease.c

Postby paultaylor@vatease.c » Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:21 am

If there is a genuine business use for these purchases you will be entitled to recover the VAT incurred. Where there is a mixture of business and personal use you will be expected to apportion the input VAT claim between the 2.

In the case of items that would normally be personal expenditure (as all of these are) you should be prepared to prove the business use in the event of a visit by a Customs officer.

Regards

Paul Taylor
http://www.vatease.co.uk/

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”