This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Professional Poker Player & Residence Status

cdn123
Professional Poker Player & Residence Status

Postby cdn123 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:44 pm

Hello,

I am a professional poker player in London (EU national) and I would like to become a resident in the UK for tax purposes.

I have seen online that I can first apply to get a Certificate of Residence. However, it asks me for a National Insurance number and I don't know if I am eligible to get one without paying for tax. And I have read online that as a poker player, I am exempt of paying for National Insurance. In fact, in order to get a Certificate of Residence, I need to prove that I am paying tax in the UK but the whole reason why I moved here is because UK law makes winnings on poker tax free. I have been paying council tax since I moved here in September 2016.

So, the problem is that I want to become resident so that I can legally not pay income tax on my earnings as a poker player. Does anyone know how I go about doing this?

Thank you

bd6759

Re: Professional Poker Player & Residence Status

Postby bd6759 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

If you are playing poker in London, and live in the UK, why would you need a certificate of residence?

cdn123

Postby cdn123 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:20 am

Hi thanks for your reply - the reason why is to be able to prove in my home country that I do not need to pay tax as I am officially living in the UK.

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:56 pm

That's really a matter between yourself and the tax authorties of your home country. I cannot see how how HMRC can issue a certificate of residence if they know nothing about you.

wamstax

Postby wamstax » Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:41 am

These certificates normally are for showing to your "other country of operation" to prove that income you are generating in that country is not taxable there as you are resident in the UK and the same income is subjected to tax in the UK. So if HMRC do not have any tax record for you such a certificate is going to be an impossibility. I would also be very careful to ensure that you are in fact operating a non-taxable source of income (and can prove it by contemporaneous evidence) otherwise if you have unexplained wealth and presence in the UK with large amounts of money passing through your bank account or purchasing assets HMRC (or some other agency) might think that you are in fact evading tax (possibly in both countries) and/or money laundering.
regards and hope this helps
http://www.wamstaxltd.com
Operates Nationally with competitive costs
and email and phone contact (mob 07751720507) can be obtained from websites

Return to “Income Tax”