This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Property and Stamp Duty

ehuplladie
Property and Stamp Duty

Postby ehuplladie » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:32 pm

I have recently sold my main residence (December 15) and moved into my 2nd home property 1 which had been rented out for the last 3-4 years and which has now become my main residence.

I intend to purchase another house which will become my main residence property 2

Question.

When I purchase property 2 I intend to move into it as my main residence, will I incur the new 3% stamp duty on the purchase?
What capital gains tax will I be liable for should I sell property 1.

maths

Re: Property and Stamp Duty

Postby maths » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:13 pm

Haven't checked Budget announcement but suspect you will not incur the extra 3% as you are replacing your main residence with another main residence.

Depending upon timing may have to pay 3% and then reclaim.

Return to “General”