This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

regd Capital Gains on disposal of previous main residence

kogantivijay
regd Capital Gains on disposal of previous main residence

Postby kogantivijay » Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:33 pm

I am a bit novice w.r.t govt regulations and would need your expert advice.

Usecase : we (joint ownership) have bought a Flat in April 2014 for £210000 and it was our main residence until March 2017 (i.e total of 36 months) subsequently we have bought another house in April 2017 by paying extra 3% Stamp duty and we would be using it as our main residence going forward and we have converted the previous main residence to Let-To-Buy and letting it. we intend to sell my previous main residence (i.e currently rented property) in 2 years time (i.e 24 months on rent) for estimated price of ~£340000 (assumption for calculation purpose) and the estimated profit of £130000 (ignoring minimal expenses for simplicity) and Total ownership of property is : 60 months. My questions are :

1. Will we be able to claim my extra 3% stamp duty that we paid for our current main residence after disposing the previous main residence which we have rented last 2 Years ?

2. Will i/we be eligible for the Private Residence relief, if so how much ?

3. Will i/we be eligible for the Lettings Relief, if so how much based on above calculations ?

4. How much would be our Individual Capital gains after disposal of previous main residence?

Thanks a lot for taking time to read it and especially for answering it. Would be very helpful if you can answer the above questions.

Regards

Vijay

maths

Re: regd Capital Gains on disposal of previous main residence

Postby maths » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:53 pm

1. Will we be able to claim my extra 3% stamp duty that we paid for our current main residence after disposing the previous main residence which we have rented last 2 Years ?
In principal yes but conditions need to be satisfied eg must sell original property within 3 years of completion of the new purchase.
2. Will i/we be eligible for the Private Residence relief, if so how much ?
Yes. 117K.
3. Will i/we be eligible for the Lettings Relief, if so how much based on above calculations ?
Yes. 13k.
4. How much would be our Individual Capital gains after disposal of previous main residence?
No CGT charge arises due to the above reliefs.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”