This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Registering for VAT in other countries?

youradds
Registering for VAT in other countries?

Postby youradds » Thu May 11, 2017 8:59 am

Hi,

I'm an Amazon seller, and we have started doing very well in the EU with our products. Currently we store the stock in the UK, and then Amazon FBA sends it out to the respective customers. What we want to do, is start storing stock out in the respective countries. As such, we would need to become VAT registered. So my questions:

1) How do I become VAT registered in France/Germany/Spain/Italy ? ?It was a reasonably painless process for VAT registration in the UK (and online payments), but I'm not sure how it works in the other countries
2) Do each of the countries have an english speaking portal, where you can submit your returns and make a payment?

I've done quite a bit of research online, and most companies want to do the whole thing for you - and charge and arm and a leg to do it. We are just a small company, so want to keep it in house as much as possible.

Thanks for your time

Andy

GlobalTaxAdviser

Re: Registering for VAT in other countries?

Postby GlobalTaxAdviser » Thu May 11, 2017 10:55 pm

Hi

It would be foolish to try to register and file yourself with the the technical part of the filing process and the language barrier.

I myself would not file in this countries unless I am 100% sure I knew what I was doing as one error could end up very costly.

If you are doing business in other countries then you need to factor in these costs. Furthermore, I would rather concentrate in selling my products than getting bogged down on admin and trying to learn how to do it yourself. Actually if you do find out please just message me as it would be good to know how to file the VAT returns in these countries :D

Kind Regards

GTA

youradds

Postby youradds » Fri May 12, 2017 6:04 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions as to companies who can do this for us? We are still a small company, so I don't want to get into paying multi-thousands just for the accountants to do the VAT returns for us :(

Cheers

Andy

Lavender2306

Postby Lavender2306 » Tue May 23, 2017 9:50 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any suggestions as to companies who can do this for us? We are still a small company, so I don't want to get into paying multi-thousands just for the accountants to do the VAT returns for us :(

Cheers

Andy
Hi Andy,
I personally don't have such experience, but I would first try to hire a French speaking agent here or in France who would find the pages on the French tax authorities website relating to VAT registration. Then this should be translated so that you can read and see if this all makes sense.
The general principles of VAT are the same throughout the EU. The registration process could vary from country to country.

absolutevat

Postby absolutevat » Tue May 23, 2017 2:41 pm

Hi Andy

I have sent you a private message regarding registrations.

Thanks

Richard

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”