This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Rental Income Taxation

Jaeger
Rental Income Taxation

Postby Jaeger » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:29 pm

Hi all,

I currently own a BTL flat. The income combined from this BTL and my salary are just about pushing me into the 40% tax bracket, and when the new tax rules come in soon for landlords I'll be well down on the small income I currently get. The flat is in my name only.

My wife is currently on maternity leave and has no income.

What do I need to do to transfer the income to her for her to declare? Do I need to transfer the property in to her name? The BTL mortgage into her name? Or can some form of Declaration of Trust keep HMRC happy as to any income being hers?

Advice very mush appreciated.

Thanks

maths

Re: Rental Income Taxation

Postby maths » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:02 pm

A simple declaration of trust under which a transfer of beneficial interest to spouse occurs is sufficient.

To avoid SDLT charge spouse should not assume responsibility for the mortgage that remains with you.

Mpat

Postby Mpat » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:44 pm

Maths,
I have a similiar challenge whereby I will be making loss on the property-rental-income, once the new HMRC rules come into full affect from 2020.
My situation is as follows (some only for info purposes, so that you have full clarity)

Timeline:
2004 - Property1 bought and mortgaged in joint names (with Wife1) and lived into as a Primary Residence
2012 - Following a divorce, Transfer of deeds performed following which the Property1+BTL mortgage has been held only in my sole name.
2013 - Moved out of Property1 and started Renting it out. Self-assessment starts with HMRC.
2014 - Bought a mortgaged Property2, as main residence, jointly with Wife2.

Tax status : Wife2 is standard rate tax payer (not higher rate). I am on higher 40% rate.

Conditions : For Property1 (rented out property) - I do not wish to transfer the title deeds + mortgage (both held in my name only).

Requirement : Is there any way, I could reduce the burden on tax on me by using Wife2's lower-tax bracket ??

Mpat

maths

Postby maths » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:44 am

My response above simply also applies here.

Return to “Property Taxation”