This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Renting out a flat

kl

Postby kl » Tue Apr 01, 2003 12:55 am

I'm looking to move in with my boyfriend and rent out my one bedroom flat. I will be paying rent to my boyfriend and would like to find out if am I able to offset this payment with the rent I get on my flat? i.e. include this in my tax return along with the mortgage, 10% wear and tear, maintenance, insurance etc. therefore reducing my income tax bill.

demetris

Postby demetris » Tue Apr 01, 2003 9:40 am

Unfortunately the law doesn't allow offestting rent payable on one proeprty against rent receivable from another property.

Your partner should be aware that if he rents out a room of his house he is entitled to an amount of rent appx £4000 tax-free (rent-a-room scheme).

I hope this helps.

Demetris Savva BA FCCA
http://www.tax-accounting-london.info
FREE tax newsletters and FREE Special Report on How to Save Tax

Return to “Property Taxation”