This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Retired Expat , on the move

jakuk
Retired Expat , on the move

Postby jakuk » Fri Jun 09, 2017 1:19 pm

I am a UK expat I am retired and left the UK 11 Years ago.

I am currently living in various Countries over the year and not spending more than 3 Months in any one.

I am only receiving interest on savings and dividends on investments ,

Any advice what you think my Tax situation is , and if I need to be registered any where for taxation purposes .

I know several people who are in a similar position as this and everyone seems to have had various conflicting advice ,

AGoodman

Re: Retired Expat , on the move

Postby AGoodman » Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:16 pm

You have to look at each country with which you have a connection and compare your position with their domestic rules.

It is possible, at least in theory, to not be resident anywhere but bear in mind that few countries' residence rules are based purely on day counts; they are usually more nuanced than that. You can equally be resident in more than one country at the same time.

Also remember that UK IHT is based on domicile. If you haven't established a permanent home in another country you will likely be UK domiciled so your worldwide estate will be subject to UK IHT.

For UK income tax, your liability on dividends and interest will be limited to any tax deducted at source - which should be none for UK source interest and dividends.

Return to “International Tax”