This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Retroactive nomination of main home?

cathw
Retroactive nomination of main home?

Postby cathw » Sun Oct 09, 2016 3:28 pm

I bought Property A in 2010 as my main home and Property B, closer to my workplace and much less expensive, in 2012. I went back and forth between the two, keeping most of my possessions in Property A. In 2014 I sold Property B and informed HMRC that Property A would be again my main residence. There was a small taxable gain on Property B, but I paid no CGT, taking it as my main residence for the two years 2012-2014, and assuming I would stay in Property A for a very long time, rendering any eventual CGT on it negligible.
Unfortunately, I decided to sell Property A in 2016 and there is a considerable gain. When the sale completes can I go back and change my nomination to make Property A my main home for 6 years continuously 2010-2016 and pay any CGT due on the sale of property B in 2014?

maths

Re: Retroactive nomination of main home?

Postby maths » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:39 pm

In 2014 I sold Property B and informed HMRC that Property A would be again my main residence.
Not quite sure what this means. It suggests that you elected for Property B to be your main residence effectively from 2012.
If so, then Property A cannot qualify as a sole or main residence for the period 2012 to 2014.

Property A would accordingly appear to qualify as your sole residence for 2010 to 2012 and again from 2014 to 2016.

cathw

Postby cathw » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:50 pm

Thank you, that would be one interpretation, but doesn''t the law allow for a change to the nomination whenever the ownership configuration changes, which it will when I sell Property A and buy a new Property C? The question is whether it would allow a change of this type.
Presumably I could have made the change within the two year window after selling Property B, but just missed the cutoff.

maths

Postby maths » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:33 pm

A change of circumstances may permit a new election as to the main residence for a period; any election having to be made within 2 years of the relevant date.

However, on the sale of A and the acquisition of C (assuming B and C are then both residences) it will not be then possible to argue (by making a second election) that A was the main residence for the period 2010 to 2014 having previously elected B as the main residence for 2012 to 2014.

cathw

Postby cathw » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:31 pm

Thank you. It sounds like I missed the cutoff by 6 weeks by not changing right after the sale of B in August 2014.

Return to “Property Taxation”