This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Salary-based day job & self-employed part time job

David88
Salary-based day job & self-employed part time job

Postby David88 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:17 pm

Hello all,

I need a little bit of advice...

I have a full time salary-based day job, everything goes through PAYE - getting my tax, NI deductions without hassle.

On the weekend I have a part time job in a bar, and I (foolishly just now) realised that my manager considers me as self employed. I get paid weekly into my bank account and get a remittance notice sent via e-mail. The remittance notice states income before any deductions and the amount transferred into my bank account is always somewhat short when compared to it (?). I never signed anything with my employer, only forwarded copy of my ID/proof of address and NI number. My area manager emphases in all correspondence that I am employed by his company (?). This is confusing and plainly speaking seems dodgy! I'm getting really concerned.

I made £2.7k from my part-time job (2016/17 tax year) and I wonder do I need to complete a tax return? If I were to deduce my fuel allowance that figure would go down to £2.2k.

Any guidance welcomed.

Thanks,
Dave

pawncob

Re: Salary-based day job & self-employed part time job

Postby pawncob » Mon May 08, 2017 12:25 pm

Yes you have two jobs. The pub manager should have put you on PAYE, with no code number.Get him to do so now.

In the meantime, you need to complete a tax return and declare the income.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

bd6759

Re: Salary-based day job & self-employed part time job

Postby bd6759 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:39 pm

When you declare your bar work, as an employee on an emloyment page of the tax return, you are perfectly entitled to claim a tax credit for the PAYE tax that your employer ought to have deducted, thus reducing your tax liability on these earnings to nil. It is your employer's responsibility to account for PAYE tax. That responsibility cannot be passed on to you without a formal direction from HMRC, which they can only use if they can show that you were complicit in the employer's failure.

Return to “Income Tax”