This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

SDLT woes

Parlance
SDLT woes

Postby Parlance » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:03 am

Hi Guys, any advice warmly welcome:

Me and my partner (not married) bought a £400k house 2 yrs ago. The purchase was done in my partner's name as I had just started my own company and was detrimental to the mortgage application as I had no accounts. I paid for the majority of the house and pay the mortgage, even though it's in partners name. It is where I live and where I bring up my kids, register to vote, etc. We are now buying £350k house as a replacement - the £400k house will be sold. This, to my mind, represents a main residence replacement for both of us

I own 2 other properties, one of which was my main residence until 2010, when I had to move abroad for work. It has been rented out since. My partner does not own any othe property.

Is the surcharge due? If so, can I sell previous residence and get a refund?

Thanks in advance.

maths

Re: SDLT woes

Postby maths » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:21 pm

I assume you are not in a civil partnership or married.

If you own a beneficial share in your current property then on the new joint purchase (whether pre or post a new purchase) the 3% will be due or reclaimable depending upon timing.

If you do not own such a share the 3% will be due on the new joint purchase. However, even if subsequent to the new purchase you then sold your own former residence the 3% would not be reclaimable because your former residence was not a residence within the three year period prior to "completion" of your new joint purchase (it ceased as such back in 2010).

Parlance

Postby Parlance » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:08 pm

Thank you very much, Maths. Really appreciate this.

We are not married. The sale/purchase of our current/new residence will transfer on the same day. I do have a beneficial interest in the property being sold, based on the premise I put £250k cash into it and pay the mortgage but my name is not on the deeds. I am hoping that the additional 3% SDLT should not be paid....not that my conveyancer agrees with me!

Based on the above, would you agree that only the 'standard' Stamp Duty applies?

maths

Postby maths » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:20 am

On the basis you each have a beneficial interest in your property which is the residence of each of you and you jointly buy a new residence and both the sale of old residence and purchase of new residence "complete" on the same day the 3% will not apply.

Parlance

Postby Parlance » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:36 pm

Fantastic, Maths. Your feedback to this and all other queries on this website is really appreciated

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”