This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

self assessed tax question

martinburrows50
self assessed tax question

Postby martinburrows50 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:20 pm

Hi, just wondnering if anyone can help me. I work for myself and the tax year 2016 to 2017 was a very bad year for me Basically I earned 2,000 less than my personal allowance. So the positives are that I have not reached the tax threshold and will not pay any income tax I presume. But I still incurred about 2000 of expenses. When I come to do my self assessed tax returns do this mean that I will get a tax rebate?

Thanks.

bd6759

Re: self assessed tax question

Postby bd6759 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:51 pm

From what you say, your self-assessment will show this:
Income 9,000
Expenses 2,000
Profit (taxable income) 7,000

This is less than the PA, so no tax to pay. You may get a refund if you have actually paid tax, but not simply because your taxable income is less than your personal allowance.

Return to “Income Tax”