This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self assessment needed for less than 11k property gain

Martinlee77
Self assessment needed for less than 11k property gain

Postby Martinlee77 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:08 pm

Hi

My Dad and I jointly bought a property many years ago which I lived in and then subsequently let.

We sold it last tax year and are just now calculating capital gains tax for self assessment. We think that both of our capital gains after reliefs are below the 11k threshold.

I do a self assessment every year, however my Dad never has as his tax affairs are simple. He's old and prone to anxiety attacks so would like to avoid him needing to go through the rigmarole of self assessment. If his gain is less than 11k then, does he need to declare it to Hmrc or do a self assessment?

Grateful for any help and guidance

Many thanks

Martin

bd6759

Re: Self assessment needed for less than 11k property gain

Postby bd6759 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:44 pm

The gain needs to be reported if the proceeds are more than 4 times the annual exemption. He can do this by letter.

https://www.gov.uk/capital-gains-tax/wo ... eed-to-pay

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”