This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

self build VAT

Nonimous
self build VAT

Postby Nonimous » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:55 pm

I am sure there is a reason why this cannot be done, but I cannot find it in HMRC guidance.

Client will be building a house and thinks to use the self build scheme to claim back relevant VAT

However: client does not own the land, and will only part own the house and will pay a rent to the other part owner (a company of which client is director)

Client will be living in the house.

I see various specifics that the self-builder must live in the house, but none that they must actually own all of it.

les35

Re: self build VAT

Postby les35 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:23 pm

I can't see a problem with this scenario. But you might need to provide a letter of explanation to HMRC. It does beg a question whether the house is being used in the course of a business, which would prevent a claim.
Might be worth paying for specific advice; or to see if there is an alternative solution?

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”