This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Self-employed losses

agbrfas
Self-employed losses

Postby agbrfas » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:12 am

Self-employed trading losses can be used to reduce other taxable income in the year of loss. If there was a trading loss, but also a balancing charge in the same period arising from an asset sale, do these have to be considered together for loss purposes? The software I use seems to allow me to utilise the trading loss against other income and at the same time utilise brought forward losses to offset the balancing charge. I’m not sure if this is right, but can’t find specific guidance/rules on this. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

pawncob

Re: Self-employed losses

Postby pawncob » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:03 pm

Brought forward losses can be offset against the chargeable income, which includes balancing charges.
Only current losses can be offset "sideways".
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

agbrfas

Postby agbrfas » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:12 pm

Thanks pawncob, but can the trading losses be considered separately from the balancing charge, or must they be looked at net? In the former event there will be sideways relief and utilisation of b/f losses, and so less tax payable.

pawncob

Postby pawncob » Fri Jul 29, 2016 3:45 pm

I think the legislation requires the "profit" to include C.A.s, so it would have to be the net which is subject to relief.
With a pinch of salt take what I say, but don't exceed your RDA

LozaACCS

Postby LozaACCS » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:05 pm

You can elect whether to claim a CA and so manipulate the loss relief claim, I do not believe you could elect not to have a balancing charge (because you already have one) so the claim must be net

Return to “Business Tax”