This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Selling Business Assets and updating accounts

RJP78
Selling Business Assets and updating accounts

Postby RJP78 » Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:58 am

This post is about buying business equipment and selling it once its no longer needed. How much tax do I need to pay back to HMRC?

I'm a sole trader and in 2014 I bought a video camera for my business for £2600. I claimed 100% of this cost as a business expense through my annual investment allowance.

I no longer need this item - it's been replaced with a newer model so I'm planning to sell this asset for £1000 to a private buyer. If bought new, this asset sells for about £1800 new nowadays.

How do I account for this sale of a business asset?

How much tax do I need to pay back to HMRC?

Do I need to consider depreciation?

Thanks for your time in sharing your advice.

bd6759

Re: Selling Business Assets and updating accounts

Postby bd6759 » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:36 am

For Capital Allowance purpsoes, the amout received from the sale of asset is deducted from the general pool.

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”