This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Selling former family home, now live in deceased partner's house

apc
Selling former family home, now live in deceased partner's house

Postby apc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:21 pm

My Mum currently rents out our former family home, having moved in with her partner who has now died. She inherited a lifetime right to live in the latter property but this will revert to her partner's family on her death. Can anyone give me some guidance on CGT implications if she sells our former family home? While she currently receives an income from the house, the letting agents are rubbish and it is causing her much stress. I would like to find out if it is worth her while to invest the value of the property elsewhere as I assume that CGT will be payable by her beneficiaries when the house is eventually sold anyway.
Thanks

maths

Re: Selling former family home, now live in deceased partner's house

Postby maths » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:14 pm

CGT will be payable but not on the whole gain.

If she for example has owned the property for say 15 years and lived in it for say 10 years then 11.5/15ths of the gain is exempt from CGT. 3.5/15ths would be chargeable less a further exempt amount of 11,300.

If she also rented it out further relief is also available.

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:14 pm

The period she lived in the house is exempt. As is the following 18 months. So if she sells within 18 months of moving out then it's entirely exempt.

As she's been letting it, she will also get another relief - lettings relief, which will likely cover much of the gain if she sells it shortly after the 18 months. Once you move beyond the 18 months in very rough figures if she makes a further £40k lettings relief will cover it, the excess is likely to be taxable (although do the sums beforehand).

The other side is her beneficiaries - they will receive it at market value (albeit perhaps subject to IHT depending on the value) so if they sell it shortly after her death there will be no CGT.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

apc

Postby apc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:34 pm

Thanks very much, she bought the house in the mid 80s when my parents split, but moved in with her partner about 20 years ago and the house will have increased in value considerably in the interim so I guess there'll be quite a sting. Probably worth her keeping things as they are. Cheers

AnthonyR

Postby AnthonyR » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:00 pm

In that case - from a tax point of view and subject to there not being a substantial IHT cost, you are probably better off holding on to it and getting the CGT uplift on your mother's eventual death.

However, from a practical point of view, don't let the tax be the driver. If her life will be made significantly easier by just cashing in and having it actively managed with a regular(ish) income this may be a consideration.

If there is considerable IHT exposure it may be worthwhile taking the hit on CGT now and using BPR type investments to generate an income and mitigate the IHT.
Anthony Rogers LLB CTA TEP
Fusion Partners LLP
anthony@fusionpartners.co.uk

apc

Postby apc » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:37 pm

Thanks again

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”