This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sending my things from USA

aidan

Postby aidan » Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:13 pm

Recently I have moved to the U.K. with my husband. I wasn't able to take a small painting easel with me on the plane as I had planned and so I asked my father to ship it to me. It was quite expensive to ship it, and he took out insurance via the post office as well on this easel. He sent it off from Massachusetts, USA, and when it got to Mitcham, Surrey, UK, we were charged almost 50 pounds in Vat tax.

I am in need of another, smaller, parcel to be sent to me now, what can I do to avoid this tax, and why was it applied in the first place?

Thank you so much.

Heather

Ian McTernan CTA

Postby Ian McTernan CTA » Tue Jul 15, 2003 3:36 am

This sounds very much like import tariff or more likely import VAT, and has been incurred on the value of the goods brought in to the country. In the absence of any evidence to the contrary Customs will charge VAT as if you had bought and were bringing in the goods from outside the EU.

To avoid this in future, ask the shipping company (use an international courier such as DHL, etc.) to deal with the package and with Customs.

Ian McTernan CTA
Mcternan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
ian@imcternan.com
McTernan Associates Ltd
Chartered Tax Advisers
Bedford
Email through link on website:
http://www.imcternan.com

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”