This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sharing tax responsiblity with non-earning partner

HEDO
Sharing tax responsiblity with non-earning partner

Postby HEDO » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Hello, I bought a flat before I married and the deeds and mortgage are both in my name. I am the sole earner and my wife pays voluntary NI contributions. We would like to benefit from her tax status with regards to the flat. What is the best way to do this? I've been told that the only way is for her to go on both the deeds and the mortgage, which we're happy to do, but I'm wondering if there's an easier, and less costly, way. Thank you for your help

SteLacca

Re: Sharing tax responsiblity with non-earning partner

Postby SteLacca » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:17 am

A beneficial interest in a property doesn't necessarily reflect the legal title. You may be able to simply gift a % beneficial ownership to her. There are no tax consequences of gifts between spouses.

You should take advice before proceeding, though.

Return to “Property Taxation”