This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Shooting rights and EU customers

Nonimous
Shooting rights and EU customers

Postby Nonimous » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:28 am

Bit of an odd one, any help appreciated.

I have a client who runs game shoots. They invoiced a customer from elsewhere in the EU, and added VAT. Customer is in business, claims this is a business related expense and has asked for the invoice to be re-issued with the reverse charge on it.

Vat notice 742 tells me that for VAT purposes shoots are the right to take game or fish from land, and normally standard rated.

I am inclined to think therefore that this is a land related supply (as it's a right to shoot birds on a particular piece of land in rural Oxfordshire) and should be liable to UK VAT.

les35

Re: Shooting rights and EU customers

Postby les35 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:21 am

Delightful!
I agree with you. The land is a 'central and essential' element of the service, since the game is located there; therefore it is a land-related service, and the Reverse Charge does not apply.
If the customer thinks it is something different, then he must provide some solid reasoning why.

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”