This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Snooze alert - CGT on property

simjb
Snooze alert - CGT on property

Postby simjb » Wed May 17, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi all,

I'd really appreciate some advice on a scenario I feel I may have to seek professional advice on but if others know better then fantastic. Firstly, apologies in advance as this is perhaps drawn out and not scintillating reading.

I bought a property in 1998 which has gained considerably in price after ownership for 19 years. This was my principle residence up until I rented it last year in May 2016. My understanding is that there was a 36 month period after moving out which would still attract tax free status but this was reduced to 18 months approx 2 years ago. I understand also that there are stipulations which attract relief after renting the principle clause of this being a £40k rent relief.
My overall understanding on potential tax considerations are: owned for 26 years, rented for 7 therefore 7/26th of capital gain is considered to be offset against any costs to be deducted as part of maintaining property or improving it eg new kitchen's, bathroom, professional fees' etc. £40 letting relief, CGT allowance all to be deducted against the 7/26ths gain.
Having owned the property for now 19 years I'm extremely wary of how I manage this when selling to keep things CGTax free or to minimise tax paid.
I'm looking to acquire 1 possibly 2 additional properties, which whilst I understand attract the second home stamp duty charges, should be worthwhile to do if I can minimise tax.
I plan on keeping the original property, which is now rented, for likely an additional 6 years as this is the term I have calculated whereby I should attract zero to minimal tax.

My questions are :

1. Are there things that I need to be critically aware of before buying additional property ?
2. How do I ensure if buying other properties that the original is still appointed the principle primary residence to attract this relief ?
3. Is there an optimum way to legally structure these properties so that I get it as good as can be from the start and avoid having to potentially change things that could be avoided with foresight ?

I hope I have been clear, though please do let me know if further clarification was needed and thank you very much in advance.

Best regards

Simon

SteLacca

Re: Snooze alert - CGT on property

Postby SteLacca » Thu May 18, 2017 8:59 am

You've got it all wrong.

Gain (before reliefs) = SP-(SC+AC+IC) where SP = sale price, SC = costs of sale, AC = cost of acquisition (purchase price plus associated costs) and IC= improvement costs (i.e. capital expenditure not allowable against rental income incurred during the whole period of ownership.

Private residence relief = 18.5/19 x gain (17 years + 18 months)
Lettings relief = lower of £40,000, Private residence relief or the balance of the gain.

Chargeable gain-(private residence relief+lettings relief).

Peter D

Re: Snooze alert - CGT on property

Postby Peter D » Thu May 18, 2017 10:20 am

Did you live in the house with your wife and was she an owner, joint or tenants in common and what share.
Please provide all the dates, at least mm/yyyy and values including SDLT, est selling agent and legal fees.
Your individual salary in the year of disposal and remember to include the rental profit. Regards Peter

Return to “Capital Gains Tax, CGT”