This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sold only property abroad to buy only property in UK

Robsome
Sold only property abroad to buy only property in UK

Postby Robsome » Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:58 am

Hi,

I'm moving back to the UK after a stint abroad and I'm coming back with a wife.

My wife had a property before I met her whereas I've always rented. She's sold her property abroad and we're about to transfer the money to the UK.

Logically we shouldn't have to pay any capital gains or other tax since it's my wife's house, she's paid all taxes abroad, so the UK shouldn't give us any problems.

However, I want to be sure there's not some tax I'm unaware of that could hit because we're married, moving so much money in one transfer, etc.

Thanks in advance,

RS

bd6759

Re: Sold only property abroad to buy only property in UK

Postby bd6759 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:34 am

There are no UK tax implications. Always good to have records to show the source of the capital.

Robsome

Re: Sold only property abroad to buy only property in UK

Postby Robsome » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:37 am

many thanks

Return to “Property Taxation”