This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sole Inheritance Spent On Second Home In Joint Names?

Sware5
Sole Inheritance Spent On Second Home In Joint Names?

Postby Sware5 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:47 am

Hi, I am a UK citizen from birth, however my foreign wife is a permanent resident here in the UK and in full time employment has received an inheritance from her deceased parents abroad which is now all done and here in our joint UK account. We would now like to invest this in a second home. Can we purchase a second home in both our names - which she wants to do as she considers half the money mine - or should it be just in her name?

section 44

Re: Sole Inheritance Spent On Second Home In Joint Names?

Postby section 44 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:45 pm

Can we purchase a second home in both our names
yes

Sware5

Postby Sware5 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 1:29 pm

Thanks for the quick response, just to clarify with no tax implications because she's essentially giving half to me in the property?

bd6759

Postby bd6759 » Thu Sep 22, 2016 6:32 pm

There is no gift tax in the UK.

Return to “General”