This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sole trader planning to buy commercial properties.

gr_santosh
Sole trader planning to buy commercial properties.

Postby gr_santosh » Fri Aug 26, 2016 1:32 am

Hi Folks

It's my first query here and I need some advice on what I am planning to do. Hope some can help me out.

I have recently set myself as a sole trader and I am make £45000 pounds a year before tax in my day job.

My outgoing are minimal and I am able to save up a large chunk of money to make an investment.

I wish to buy a commercial property priced £25000 which I plan to let long term as an investment property.

Since this is a non residential investment can some one guide me what tax I need to pay?

Full tax on £45000 or
Tax on £45000 - £25000 = £20000 after investment.

Anything else I need to be aware of? Is there any downside making this investment?

Regards
Santosh

Lambs

Re: Sole trader planning to buy commercial properties.

Postby Lambs » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:46 am

S,

I think you are asking if you will get any kind of Income Tax relief on re-investing the profits of your self-employed business into a commercial property.

You will not.

There are certain kinds of Capital Gains Tax relief, if you make a capital gain in respect of qualifying assets, and then re-invest the proceeds into other qualifying assets. But that is not the case here, and your self-employed profits will be taxed in full, regardless of whether you spend the net profits on private expenditure or a new commercial property.

The net rental income from the commercial property will also be taxable, if and when there is any.

Regards,

Lambs

gr_santosh

Re: Sole trader planning to buy commercial properties.

Postby gr_santosh » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:11 am

Thank you, that answers my question.

Return to “General”