This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Sole Trader VAT Registration

Rocka2
Sole Trader VAT Registration

Postby Rocka2 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:57 pm

Hi,

I'm a UK sole trader and I receive royalty income mainly from a US company (90%) and a small amount from a UK and European company (10%). My music is mainly streamed by a US company who then pay me a royalty. My annual income is nearing the £83,000 vat registration threshold and I'm wondering if it goes over the threshold do I need to register for VAT? Is royalty income for a service provided to a Non-EU country outside the scope for UK Vat?

So I'm wondering can I exclude my US royalty income when determining if I meet the £83,000 vat registration threshold and if so do I not need to register for VAT?

Thoughts and opinions would be much appreciated!

Thanks.

les35

Re: Sole Trader VAT Registration

Postby les35 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:06 pm

B2B General Rule services are outside the scope of VAT when the Place of Supply is outside the EU. However, you are still entitled to recover input tax in relation to such services. Unless you have only a small amount of input tax, I would consider registration, to recover it.

Rocka2

Re: Sole Trader VAT Registration

Postby Rocka2 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:29 pm

Thanks Les35. I currently offset the gross amount of all my expenses against my royalty income in order to determine my taxable income for income tax purposes. Should I only be offsetting the net amount even if i'm not VAT registered?

Ideally I don't want to have to register for VAT if i am below the £83,000 taxable income vat threshold. So in order to determine my £83,000 taxable income vat threshold, can I exclude my Non-European royalty income?

Thanks!

Return to “VAT & Excise Duties”