This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

STAMP DUTY IF I FINANCE THE PURCHASE OF A HOUSE FOR MY WIFE

clkbrk
STAMP DUTY IF I FINANCE THE PURCHASE OF A HOUSE FOR MY WIFE

Postby clkbrk » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:32 pm

I own a property which is currently been rented as my wife and I are both living overseas due to my work in Europe. This property is currently in the process of being transferred to a property company owned by my son. As we are planning to return to the UK soon we are looking around for a house as our main residence. The questions I have for the forum are:
i) As I am transferring the owned property to a company as a gift, will I be liable to the 3% additional SDLT when I buy another property on my return to the UK?
ii) If the answer is yes, will I be liable to the additional 3% SDLT if I fully finance my wife to buy the other property 100% cash funded by me?

maths

Re: STAMP DUTY IF I FINANCE THE PURCHASE OF A HOUSE FOR MY WIFE

Postby maths » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:31 pm

On the basis the beneficial interest in the property is being transferred to the company (ie not just the legal title) then no 3% SDLT charge will apply should you then purchase another property (as you will only own one property).

maths

Postby maths » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:00 pm

Should have added that SDLT will arise on gift to company.

clkbrk

Postby clkbrk » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:35 am

Thank you for your helpful reply. On your final remark on gifting the property to the company, can I assume zero stamp duty if the house value is less than 125000 GBP?

SteLacca

Postby SteLacca » Thu Feb 23, 2017 5:34 pm

A company cannot have an only or main residence, and so will pay 3% SDLT minimum on properties valued above £40,000.

Return to “Stamp Duty, Stamp Duty Land Tax, SDLT”