This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Starting up a ltd company whilst currently employed.

Harveyj97
Starting up a ltd company whilst currently employed.

Postby Harveyj97 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:36 am

Hello. I'm a newbie to the forum.

In regards to business, banking and taxes i'm a little uneducated so please do forgive me if i'm incorrect in anyway.

Anyhow, i'm currently employed and so in regards to taxes my employer handles all of that, i pay 20% tax alongside my NIC percent as well. However i'm currently in the process of starting up my own business, specifically buying and selling through Amazon. Now my query is this, if i set up a ltd company, will my tax code with my current employer change? Or will tax be kept separate between my employment and potential business. I'm not expecting to make a huge profit through my business, and was wondering what tax i would possibly pay on that, is it 20% cooperation tax or is there a way to reduce this.

Thank you in regards to anybody that could shed some light or advice on my problems, it is greatly appreciated. :D

darthblingbling

Re: Starting up a ltd company whilst currently employed.

Postby darthblingbling » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:36 pm

If you begin to take a salary from your company via a PAYE scheme you set up, you'll likely be told by HMRC to use a BR or other tax code, so your other employer likely won't need to make any changes.

Depends purely on what income you will eventually pay yourself from your company.

DavidTreitel

Re: Starting up a ltd company whilst currently employed.

Postby DavidTreitel » Fri Aug 18, 2017 1:19 pm

Why do you need a limited company?

Return to “Income Tax”