This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax code error and underpayment

dpw999
Tax code error and underpayment

Postby dpw999 » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:03 pm

I have been hit with a tax underpayment for 2012-2013, and have been trying to work out why this occurred and whether I am likely to be able to claim employer or hmrc error.

My personal allowance was initially applied to a zero hour contract which was my main job. I subsequently received a second employment contract for a full time post with the same employer whilst keeping the 0-hour contract for locum work, and therefore completed a p46. It seems however that my zero hour contract remained as my main job for tax purposes even though they were aware of change in main job. Within the same year I also moved job again to another employer and completed another p46 .
Stating again that I had a second job. Once again I was kept on BR code and as I strayed above the higher rate threshold didn't pay enough tax. I assume.

Holding two employments with the same employer , am I wrong to expect them to apply the correct tax code to the relevant job? And I believed that by submitting a p46 this also informed the hmrc of change on circumstances and prompt a review of my tax code?

RMC

Re: Tax code error and underpayment

Postby RMC » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:52 pm

Why do you think your employers used incorrect tax codes? This usually happens when the prospective employee gives incorrect information (=ticks incorrect box) on P46. Did you do that?
Please don't forget: if in 2012/13 you received other income such as taxable interest or dividends, you must tell HMRC and pay higher rate tax on that (and, possibly, add-ons). Ignorance is no excuse for late filing.

Return to “Income Tax”