This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. To find out more about cookies on this website and how to delete cookies, see our Cookie Policy.
Analytics

Tools which collect anonymous data to enable us to see how visitors use our site and how it performs. We use this to improve our products, services and user experience.

Essential

Tools that enable essential services and functionality, including identity verification, service continuity and site security.

Where Taxpayers and Advisers Meet

Tax efficient withdrawal of cash from my SIPP

Annmarie
Tax efficient withdrawal of cash from my SIPP

Postby Annmarie » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:00 pm

Hello
I want to empty my SIPP with no requirement for income. I have already turned on my work pension and I have about £150k left before exceeding the allowance. My SIPP is about £360k, so £210k is above the LTA.

Can I take £90k tax free cash from the SIPP, leaving the rest within the SIPP?

I am thinking of taking another £30k this tax year, and paying income tax on this – this sum would avoid pushing me into another tax bracket. And perhaps repeating this £30k next tax year. This would then take me to the limit of the LTA. My final step would then be to empty the rest, about £210k and pay 55% tax.

I realise that I will have to pay back a lot of tax but is there any more efficient way of doing it?

Thanks very much for any information/guidance that you may be able to give.

Return to “Savings & Investments, Pensions & Retirement”